Sunday, March 6, 2011

An introduction to new beginnings: St. Gerard and St. Luke




So, add me to the list of those who blog. I always wanted to blog, but what in the world could I offer to anyone and have a meaningful blog? I do have 4 awesome kids and my husband IS a Super Hero (don't tell him I said that....) so what or WHY would I want to blog? Well Thank You dear friend Lori Miller...and blogger extraordinaire of whom wasn't feeling well and I thought "I wonder if there's a Saint for that"...and here we are....with our smart phone love ...I did borrow the phrase from.."there's an app for that". (I am pretty sure you got it, but hey...I just got my smart phone about just a few months ago so...there some people out there they may not know the connection...I'm just sayin'! )

Now let me preface by saying I am a Catholic, I love my faith...but I am still learning...I am not an ethereal Catholic, actually I am still a new Catholic having converted when my oldest daughter was born, 10 years ago. I stay home, I go a little nuts often but I am inspired to make a difference in peoples lives...so here is to new beginnings...and yes...there IS a Saint for that.

The first one is St. Gerard. Probably one of my favorites, as he is the Patron Saint for expecting mothers. When I was expecting my second child, one of my Priest's gave me a cloth that had St. Gerard on it, and I laid it on his crib before he was born...and then when it was time to give birth, i put it in his diaper bag and had it at the hospital while I was delivering. It was so comforting to know that not only Jesus was guiding me...and his buddy St. Gerard, was with us too.
St. Gerard died early but it seems as though God gave him a gift to help woman who were not only expecting, but helped those who were trying to conceive as well. Many mothers gave him a nickname the "Saint of Happy Deliveries" (I am sure that is open for interpretation to many) His feast day is October 16th.

And then for my new start in this blogging hobby... ...for that I go to St. Luke....an incredibly focused man, a doctor, writer and artist...he is a good friend to lean on when you are pondering new ideas, or going into a new venture.

As a Mom, I am always trying to think of new ways to deal with, help, and guide my kids...I might be talking to St. Luke a little more often. I am sure St. Anthony is getting a little tired of hearing from me on a daily basis....(i will save him for another entry!) Ironically, St. Luke's' feast day is October 18th just a few days after St. Gerard!

Now....I know there are many people that will have more knowledge than myself about Saints, about being Catholic, about blogging. I'd like to respectfully ask that you refrain from commenting negatively and understand that my reasoning for this blog is to reach the Mom's that could use a little giggle (respectfully) in the fact that there are SAINTS everywhere! Some might be serious...some not so much...but all under the same umbrella of knowing that we could all use a little support in our lives, and as a baby Catholic myself...I could use all the support I can get ...and if that means reaching out not only to Jesus...but his posse too...
=)

3 comments:

  1. You are awesome! I am watching in amazement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh thanks Ladies! I am excited about this little bloggy blog. Thanks for being ill Lori...LOL

    ReplyDelete